History, sensitive periods, role of the teacher and role of the child, prepared environment, and process of normalization
Montessori Philosophy and Pedagogy
Theory of Montessori Method including history, sensitive periods, role of the teacher and role of the child, prepared environment, and process of normalization. Also includes discussion of developmental theories of other major theorists; Absorbent mind, logical/mathematical mind, spiritual & moral development; and how the above relate to child, materials, teacher, and environment.
Schedule: Montessori Philosophy and Pedagogy
- June 19th – June 23rd
Assessment: Montessori Philosophy and Pedagogy
The student must satisfactorily complete written and practical evaluations for both academic and practicum phases as well as complete all in-class assignments and classroom manuals as directed.
Readings: Montessori Philosophy and Pedagogy
- The Absorbent Mind, Maria Montessori
- Maria Montessori: Her Life & Work, E.M. Standing
- Oneness to Separateness, Louise Kaplan
- Understanding the Human Being, Silvana Montanaro
- Your Self Confident Baby, Magda Gerba
- Shining Through, Sonnie McFarland