Strategies & practices that create and sustain a cooperative, collaborative and peaceful learning community.
This course focuses on the strategies and practices that create and sustain a cooperative, collaborative and peaceful learning community. It starts with the individual and moves out in concentric circles to classroom, school, local community and global community. We address the very fundamental concept of creating connection among the group individuals. Based on brain research, the state of connectedness facilitates full brain integration allowing optimal learning and receptiveness. It has also been determined that humans choose to behave based on their level of positive connection to each other (social group). Participants will be armed with a toolbox of concrete activities that will transform themselves, their classrooms and environments.
Schedule: Community Building & Peace
May 5th & May 6th, 2018
Assessment: Community Building & Peace
The student must satisfactorily complete written and practical evaluations for both academic and practicum phases as well as complete all in-class assignments and classroom manuals.
Readings: Community Building & Peace
- Montessori Today by Paula Polk Lillard
- From Childhood to Adolescence by Dr. Maria Montessori
- To Educate the Human Potential by Dr. Maria Montessori
- The Formation of Man by Dr. Maria Montessori
- The Advanced Montessori Method 1 by Dr. Maria Montessori
- The Advanced Montessori Method 2 by Dr. Maria Montessori
- The Montessori Controversy by Dr. John Chattin-McNichols
- The TAO of Montessori by Catherine McTamaney
- Children of the Universe by Michael and D’Neil Duffy
- Montessori Matters Manual
- Montessori Matters Language Manual